In Jigawa State, SPARC is working with the State Government to improve and strengthen systems and processes that support successful implementation of the state’s reform agenda. SPARC is also working to help develop systems and processes that promote transparent and accountable governance.
Specifically, SPARC works in partnership with the State Government to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of governance through improving the ways in which:
- Policies and strategies are made and implemented, including monitoring and evaluation of the implementation process;
- Public financial resources are managed and accounted for;
- Services are delivered to the public.
Key Achievements with SPARC support
SPARC’s work with various Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) of government in the State has led to:
- Development, publication and dissemination of Comprehensive Development Framework I, in collaboration with Budget and Economic Planning Directorate;
- Development, publication and dissemination of Guidelines for preparing Medium Term Sector Strategies for Ministries, Departments and Agencies in collaboration with Budget and Economic Planning Directorate;
- Preparation of Medium Term Sector Strategies for Agriculture, Commerce, Education, Environment, Health, and Water Resources sectors;
- Preparation, publication and dissemination of Budget Calendar;
- Improvement of earnings for the Contributory Pensions Fund through technical actuarial advice and training;
- Preparation of a Strategy and Implementation Plan for improvement of Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) (with State Internal Revenue Service and other revenue generating MDAs);
- Development of International Standards Bidding Documents for the Due Process Bureau;
- Development of a State Gender Policy and subsequent approval of terms of reference for Gender Desk Officers;
- Establishment of an M&E Unit and central Management Information System (MIS) and within Budget and Economic Planning Directorate;
- Migration to 52 digits Budget Classification and Chart of Accounts in compliance with Federal Government directive;
- Development of an Audit Manual to guide activities of the Office of the Auditor-General;
- Development, publication and dissemination of mandate compendium containing a list of mandates of all Ministries, Departments and Agencies of Jigawa State Government.
Other things we hope to do in partnership with the State Government
With strong support from the State Government, SPARC plans to:
- Continue to work with Budget and Economic Planning Directorate on finalising the revision of the CDF;
- Continue to work with the Office of the Accountant-General and Budget and Economic Planning Directorate to support the preparation of realistic and implementable multi-year budgets through regular update and use of the Government Revenue Estimation and Allocation tool (GREAT);
- Continue to work with the office of the Head of Civil Service to rollover Corporate Planning, best practice Human Resource Management (HRM).
Jigawa State Development - Comprehensive Development Framework (CDF) Leaflet
Coordination in Jigawa
SPARC works closely with other State Level Programmes in Jigawa, including ESSPIN, SAVI, and MNCH2. ESSPIN and MNCH2 will move forward with issues emerging which are sector specific to the education and health sectors and SPARC will continue to work with the Office of the Head of Service (OHoS) and other central ministries.